Friday, February 4, 2011

BFF's Reunited






When I was ten, my family moved back to California and I sadly left the only friends I knew back in Chicago. Thankfully, I met Erin right after in the early days of 5th grade and we became best friends instantly.  Our friendship has lasted through, those awkard middle school years, the awkward Highschool years, the fun College years, marriage, kids etc. Our relationship ship bears the mark of a true friendship in the sense that no matter how much time passes between phone calls or visits, when we have them it feels like no time at all.  Such was the case with her visit to Phoenix a couple of weeks ago. We hadn't seen each other in 4 years. I hadn't even met her youngest daughter Abby who is 3. She came out with her sister and Abby to visit her aunt and uncle and planned to sneak in some time with me too.  Through an unexpected turn of events we ended getting much more time to spend together than I thought-- which was lovely.

In thinking about all those years as we grew imagining what our lives would be like and picturing our children playing together, I can't even express how much it warms my heart to see it unfold in reality. I get a little shudder when I think about how Isabel is just a few months younger than we were when we met- it reminds me how quickly time passes- but it also gives me hope that many of the friendships she has now, have the potential to last through the years. After all, Erin and I are going on 22 years this year. I wish her other daughter Anna, who's Laney's age, could have come out, but hopefully there will be more visits in years to come with more chances for our kids to become friends.

It so neat to see a little miniature version of Erin, with beautiful wispy long blonde hair like her mom!



The Highlight of the Weekend was definitely our trip to the Zoo
Erin , Erika, and Abby
I really enjoyed seeing Erika again too, she's such a great Auntie!



We fed the Sting Ray, I don't think Abby knew what to think about the fish food



Can you lean in any farther?





 One of my few pet peeves about going to the zoo is no matter how much fun we are having just seeing the animals, it seems the kids still want something that costs extra, from the Carosel, train, or camel rides, to kettle corn, or even yes, these stupid viewing telescopes that cost 25 cents. Honestly couldn't they just make them free or not put them in at all.  I don't have a problem saying no, but it just kills me that here we are at the zoo, but I still feel like a loser mom when they look disappointed because I can't provide a quarter. Who carries quarters in their pocket these days? Too bad I can't just swipe a debit card and save the grief.


You are never too old for a ride in the stroller!
I think my kids spent more time in it than Abby.


Lovely Sisters


Instant friends

Laney Left her camera at home so she spent most of the time
taking pictures with Erika's camera-- what did I say, best Auntie ever!


Oh, she so cute, I just love those little bounce curls and tendrils


Closing time at the zoo is my favorite time to be there. It so relaxing and peaceful with the setting sun and cooler weather. Usually JJ and I lallygag our way to the exit a few minutes after closing, I know they are relaxed about it, but this day we pushed the limits farther than ever. It was so nice, we had the hardest time leaving.  We very slowly mosied our way out, thinking someone would eventually kick us out. But the rare people who drove by just looked our way and smiled. We stopped and were playing at the caverns when I realized we hadn't seen anyone in awhile and I looked at my watch it was 6pm , an hour past closing. All of the sudden I got a little nervous-- the place seemed really empty. We hurried a bit towards the exit and all the guy said to us on our way out was thank you for coming and come back again soon. I love the Zoo! (so much nicer than the library Nazi! )  On our way out a bus load of kids pulled up with their sleeping bags and backpacks. Night Camp. Maybe that's why they were so nice, we were nothing compared to what was coming! 

Here are some pay offs for staying after hours....
At the Lion Enclosure

The Lions were quite active roaring at each other for a few minutes before going back to sleep!


Close encounters watching the Rhinos go in for the night!


The zoo lights even started coming on. The looked so pretty in the dusk light.

The best part was this beautiful Sunset on the Lake as we walked out!
It was such a great memory and weekend

I reiterated a card that Erin once gave me that said  "May our 8 years turn into 80" Well we are about a quarter of the way there, Now if we can just live to be 90.

2 comments:

  1. my family once took a vacation to the san diego zoo and at closing time my dad told my brothers and i that if we didn't hurry for the exit, they release the lions into the park to eat the stragglers!!!

    i like your approach MUCH better! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so lucky to have you!! We can totally get to 90--just you wait and see!
    love,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete