Monday, February 7, 2011

And then there were none...

Whenever the stomach flu hits a member of the family I am always reminded of that book by Agatha Christie. I look at each member of the family wondering who will be next. Is it me? Did I eat off any of the kids plates recently? The next few days are spent a bit cautiously waiting for an outbreak. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not. This time it started with Jordan and I didn't have to wait long. He woke up Sunday morning throwing up, I felt pretty nauseous and crummy that night. Then there was Laney in the middle of the night. Finally. by morning Isabel was wretching in the bathroom thankfully before school started. JJ had already left to go out of town early in the morning  and appearently took the bug with him. He told me tonight  while I was writing this that he lost it tonight after dinner. 

I have to admit, I was grateful it hit everyone at once. I secretly am happy when the kids are sick. Not because I enjoy watching them suffer, I don't. But I do enjoy having them home for a day and today it was all of them. Since no one likes to be shut up in their room (I like them around anyway), Standard Protocol is to quarantine them to one section of the couch covered in a blanket and that is where they stay to rest until they get better. It has become so ingrained in routine, that one day there was a blanket by happenstance sprawled over a section of couch, and each kid that saw it asked who was sick that day.

Today we covered the whole couch and hung out together reading Harry Potter.

My Little Patients

I have been reading the seventh book out loud to them over the last month or so because I wanted them to at least experience one book before they saw the movie, having missed their chance with the last 6. We had 200 pages left and it was a really exciting part. It's been so long since I read it the first time, I didn't remember anything. We ended up spending the entire day on the couch reading and sleeping until we finished the book.

I know the rest of the week I will be the lunch packer, chauffer, tutor, chef, nagger, disciplinarian, etc But today, it was nice to take a day off from those roles and just be nurse and friend. Never do I feel more appreciated than when I see those looks of gratitude as I hold their hair back while they lean over the toilet, replace a wet wash cloth on their head, or just snuggle by them.

Tonight as I lay cuddled by Laney when she went to bed she gave me a happy little sigh and said, “I feel loved.” I reflected on the day, and despite how little was accomplished, I think it was probably one of my most productive days as a mom in a long time.





2 comments:

  1. this post is so touching! i love hearing about the relationship you have with your kids! what a super mom =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me of us. On Sunday and Monday we had Mom, Zach and me all piled on the couch together. We are just waiting for dad and possibly Ling to get sick now. Hope you guys are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete