Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Flowers for Mother's Day

This year I got flowers for Mother's Day-- a whole yard of them.


My parents were in town last week and my Dad helped us color our backyard. Now our backyard, as big and wonderful as it is, has been a source of embarassment at how horribly we take care of it. --Well, we are turning over a new leaf (no pun intended) and I decided it's time to crack down and cover those army barracks with something more inviting. The whole family pitched in and spent saturday digging, planting, dirt mixing, and drip lining our backyard. It looks much better, and now that I understand our drip system and how to properly add plants to it, I feel much more confident that some of these plants will actually survive.


 As an added back up, I took careful measure to choose plants that appear, well, idiot proof. Or should I say lazy proof? To give you an idea of what they are up against.... JJ informed me a couple of days ago that the water has been off in our front yard for months because he needed to fix a drip- Nice, right? Yet our Lantana and honey suckle have been growing beautifully and fast all this time-- Yep- idiot proof!!! So, let's just say I picked a lot of Lantana,  also Bouganvillea, a couple mesquite trees (love those things) and since our Rosewood is the lone survivor from our last attempt, I got one more to boot. We also ventured to an orange tree. Jordan got so excited, he asked if we could get a basket so he could pick the oranges. I told him if there are EVER any oranges on it to pick, I will buy them each a basket. He excitedly passed on the news to his sisters. Here's hoping for oranges and general plant prosperity.  If nothing else, now that my Dad fixed our timer, we should at least be seeing some grass growing soon-- yeah!


My great little Dirt Mixers!


JJ, Herculing through the concrete ledge underground.


Drip lines here we come-- Thanks Dad!

Mud Trauma


Taking a break to be with her Grammy

Here are some of the results
This little nook should be really pretty when it all fills in :)

Someday, that Hibiscus will be able to shop in the Big and Beautiful
Section!---hopefully

The start of our Mexican Heather Hedge

My lovely Mother's Day Dinner
Lasagna,Asparagus, and Bruschetta
Who could ask for anything more?

It was a wonderful Mother's Day weekend, and I especially love the little notes and gifts from my sweeties. They each picked out such thoughtful things that I needed like lotion, hair clippy claws, squirt bottle (perpetually lost), and Isabel wrote me a thoughtful Poem and put it in a frame with a picture of a flower.
It is a nice reminder of my weekend so I will share it:

Mother's Love

Garden so pretty
Flowers full of love
More colorful than the rainbow
as beautiful as a dove
As wonderful as a sunset
If each flower was part of my mother's heart
My garden would go on forever

Here's hoping our little garden may go on forever.... Well at least until next week.




No comments:

Post a Comment