Friday, March 18, 2011

Spring Swim

When I found out the temperature has been reaching the 90's this week, I decided instead of complaining about it, I would embrace it. Turns out some pools are open in town for spring break (I won't even mention what's wrong with those words co-habitating the same sentence). So we picked up our good friends to enjoy the sunshine and one of few remaining days before they move to California-- sniff, sniff.

Here we are embracing the weather...


Swimming has always been my #1 favorite bonding activity with the kids. Growing up by the beach has made me more of a dolphin rather than a desert rat. So any chance to re-hydrate in water is a welcome one, especially if it involves my best little friends. I have many fond memories of spending the summer days teaching the kids how to swim.... only to start over the next summer after they'd forgotten. I loved evey minute of it. Today when Laney and Jordan climbed in the water and comfortably swam like no time had passed-- I thought Hallelujah!

We had a buddy system....





 My little Buddy


I am amazed at what a different experience the pool is from a few years ago trying to juggle my little non-swimmers, it was surprisingly bittersweet. I felt happiness at the sight of Isabel growing up and running around with her friend, but also some trepidation as I looked around at all the teenagers grown up and alone there with their friends and boyfriends.

I found myself grateful for another day of the kids, despite their growing independence, still anxious to hang on my back, show me their tricks, and happy to be my buddy,
-- even if that day came in the middle of March!


1 comment: