Sunday, September 12, 2010

It's All About the Proof

I decided to finally start a life blog for two reasons:

1. So that all of our memories are not lost by way of senility.

and...

2. Because I have learned that children's appreciation comes only with documentation.

Just like the proverbial tree in the woods, with no evidence of the nice things parents have done for them, children forget and it's only the parent's word to back it up. We as parents know how much our words are valued, especially during the teenage years. So, I have realized that someday when my kids are telling me that I am ruining their life, I'll need proof otherwise. I know it may not help at the time, but it might years later when faced with their own ingrates. 

And so I begin with my first proof for Isabel on how much we love her....

It started last year when she said she wanted a classroom for Christmas.   Just like many other girls her age, her number #1 activity choice when not in school is to play school (at least when it is hot outside) . I don't quite understand it, but I think it has something to do with empowerment.

 So she wanted a classroom.  When she dreams, she dreams big!  When it was appearant that desks, or classroom supplies wouldn't cut it. We went with plan B-- Santa brought her a bike. 

Appearantly with months to mull it over and her birthday coming up, she cleverly came up with a reasonable solution to her request.   She explained to me that she wanted 3 boards that could fold out and stand behind her so she could pin things up behind her while she taught. She was extrememly apologetic about it, and even provided an escape clause by saying if it was too much we didn't have to give her that. Man, she's good. How could I say no to this? With her engineer father, I knew it would be no problem, and I was thrilled that I didn't have to come up with a gift idea. But I played it cool and  said something like"I think we should be able to make that happen." I didn't want her knowing exactly what she was getting, I had to keep her guessing a little. JJ must be rubbing off on me.  So when the kids were staying with our friends for the weekend, we took the opportunity to make her vision a reality.  The tag team worked together doing what we each do best. He built it and I accessorized it! 

So this is what she woke up to Friday ....



From the wonderful suggestion of my planner friend, I found everything she would need to set up classroom at the dollar spot in Target just in time with the afterschool stuff. Thank you Jill! Most of it was gone when I went back a week later to get a few more things.




JJ used a big white board he got from work that has been hanging uselessly in our garage for years as the back drop. Then he hinged peg board on the sides for her to hang things on. We can fold it up and move it around.
She finally had her classroom, and it's portable!



A few hours later...

This is what our family room looked like

Team Teachers




Oh, they are so precious




Now this is what I am talking about.... Proof


Isabel admits she is spoiled and that she will love us forever, well at least about  9000 years- give or take.
We love you too Isabel!

1 comment:

  1. The teacher in me LOVES THIS! So fun, so fun, so fun. I wonder what they served during "snack." And oh, to be in charge! You are both great parents for making a dream come true. Your kids are delightfully beautiful/hansome. What a great way to remember life...

    ReplyDelete